- According to the National Diabetes Fact Sheet, about 186, 300 young people in the US under age 20 had diabetes in 2009.
- About 2/3 of men and almost half of women in California are overweight or obese.
- At present, approximately 9 million children over 6 years of age are considered obese and 15% are considered at risk of becoming overweight.
- Psychological consequences of overweight children are at an increased risk for discrimination, low self-esteem, and poor body image.
- In 2000, a survey found that only 8% of elementary schools, 6.4% of middle schools, and 5.8% of senior high schools provided daily physical education for the entire school year for all of the students in each grade.
* All statistics cataloged on the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources website fact sheet
Help us aid At-Risk Youth in our community
FOCUSﬁsh is currently working with families in the Crenshaw district to improve health, safety and well-being in our under-served communities. We are currently seeking $100 a family to create and produce a family circus, under the big top, this summer. The more families, the better!
Help us to improve our community & public school physical education programming
- $480 sponsors a single under-privileged child in our community circus aerial arts classes for an entire year.
- $750 will sponsor an under-privileged child in one of our programs for an entire year.
- $1200 facilitates a training program for school teachers and a one-day student workshop for a school in need of inspiration, in the areas of arts and physical education.
- $15,000 purchases an entire year of PE programming for a school of your choice.